“We are Brethren”
In 1767, Isaac Long, a resident of Lancaster, PA, hosted a revival meeting at his barn. That night a Mennonite preacher named Martin Boehm shared his story of faith in Christ. William Otterbein, a German Reformed pastor, was so moved that he left his seat, embraced Boehm, and said loud enough for everyone to hear, “We are brethren!” Out of this revival movement a new denomination was formed: United Brethren in Christ.
The Macedonia United Brethren Church is the outgrowth of a revival movement and the leadership of Jacob Garling, a layman. At the close of 1881, Mr. Garling conducted a series of prayer meetings at the California schoolhouse. Rev John Fohl, of the King Street U.B. Church, came to assist with the meetings and stayed for two months.
An acre of ground was purchased across the road from the present location and a 32 by 42 foot church building was dedicated on November 19, 1882, which was free from indebtedness. The name given to the new congregation was “The Macedonia Church of the United Brethren Church.”
In 1891, the Greencastle Circuit was established and for some time Macedonia was connected with Greencastle as a mission. For some two years, Middleburg, Macedonia, Ebenezer, and Pleasant Hill constituted the Middleburg Circuit.
In 1962, Macedonia was assigned its own full-time pastor after being on a circuit with the Ebenezer Church.
Over the years God has blessed our church and has used us. He continues to work his love and ministry through us. We believe that he will continue to use and bless us as we faithfully serve him.